Santa-Maria Style BBQ Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip
- 2 (3-pound) tri-tip roasts
- For Seasoning Salt Mixture:
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 6 tablespoons salt
- For Basting Sauce:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
Makes 6 servings
- Mix together all seasoning salt ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of the tri-tips with half of the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub.
- Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat a grill to low.
- Place the tri-tips over a low temperature fire, 1 with fat side up, and the other with fat side down.
- Turn as the first side gets crispy, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Be careful of flare-ups, as the dripping fat will fuel the fire.
- Turn the tri-tips before the heat pushes juices out the top, and continue to turn using this timing method throughout the cooking process.
- After turning, baste with sauce and season lightly, 4 times per side.
- Continue turning until the tri-tips are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from fire and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 1/2-inch slices against the grain.