Grilled Stone Fruit with Goat Cheese and Almonds
- 4 peaches, halved and pitted
- 4 nectarines, halved and pitted
- Cooking spray
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 6 cups arugula, baby spinach, or mixed greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup whole blanched almonds, toasted
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Place fruit halves in a large bowl. Coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Toss gently to coat.
Place fruit halves, cut sides down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 2 minutes; turn halves over, and grill 2 minutes or until fruit begins to soften and peel loosens. Transfer to a bowl, and cool slightly. Remove peel. Chop each half into wedges.
Combine vinegar, oil, shallots, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Place 1 1/2 cups greens on each of 4 plates. Drizzle each with 2 tablespoons dressing. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese and about 1 tablespoon almonds. Top each salad with 8 fruit wedges.
Tip: If you grill in the fall, pears are a wonderful substitute for the stone fruit.