Grilled Halloumi with Watermelon and Basil-Mint Oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, coarsely chopped (hold 3 to 4 leaves back for garnish, if desired)
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil for basil-mint oil, and additional as needed for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound heirloom tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 (8-9 ounces) package Halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 or 9 slices
- 6 triangles watermelon, rind removed and thinly sliced
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to high.
Using a blender or food processor, purée basil, mint, and garlic. Add 1/2 cup olive oil and continue to purée until ingredients are well mixed.
Strain mixture over a small bowl, pressing on solids. Once strained, season with salt and pepper.
Brush the grill rack with olive oil.
Drizzle approximately 2 tablespoons basil-mint oil over tomatoes and cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Place tomato slices on grill, turning occasionally, until charred, roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
Grill cheese until it’s nicely charred in spots and beginning to melt, roughly 45 seconds per side.
Arrange melon on a platter. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Drizzle remaining basil-mint oil over all and garnish with mint leaves as desired.